Sep 21, 2020  
2014-15 Graduate Catalog 
2014-15 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Admission to Graduate Studies


Berry College seeks to admit students who could be academically successful at the institution while meeting their personal educational goals. Each applicant's record should reflect promise of growth, seriousness of purpose and a sense of responsibility.

Application for M.B.A., M.Ed., M.A.T., or Ed.S., admission must be filed with the Director of Admissions no later than 30 days before the beginning of the semester for which admission is sought. All transcripts, references and test scores should be sent to the admissions office to allow a timely review of the application materials. To allow the college sufficient time to prepare for new students, normally new students are not admitted in the 10 business days preceding the beginning of a semester.

Correspondence dealing with the admission of students should be addressed to the Director of Admissions, Berry College, P. O. Box 490159, Mount Berry, Georgia 30149-0159;; or to the Director of the M.B.A. Program,, 706-238-5896; or the Office of Graduate Studies in Education,, 706-368-5712.

All applicants must submit a completed application and supporting credentials as specified by the specific graduate program for which the student seeks acceptance. Applicants who fail to provide accurate and true information or submit work that is not their own may have their admission invalidated.

Berry College Joint Graduate Enrollment

A Berry College senior with at least a 3.0 (B) grade-point average lacking no more than 12 semester hours toward a baccalaureate degree may register for a maximum total load of six semester hours of graduate-level courses, so long as the baccalaureate program is being completed during the semester in which the graduate work is pursued.

The undergraduate student taking graduate-level courses is restricted to a maximum load of 15 semester hours. Prior written approval of the academic advisor, the appropriate director (Graduate Studies in Business or Graduate Studies in Education) and the provost is required.

International Applicants

In addition to the requirements for a specific admissions category, an applicant from a non-English speaking country must submit TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores, and international transcripts must be evaluated by World Educational Services. Students who require a U.S. stu­dent visa also must submit a completed financial-responsibility form after they have been admitted to Berry in order to obtain an I-20 immigra­tion form. International students who have graduated from a college or university that speaks English are exempt from the requirement to submit a TOEFL score.

Veterans Administration-Information for Veterans

Berry College has been approved by the Georgia Department of Veterans Affairs for study and veterans' assistance. The veteran seeking admission to graduate studies as a degree-seeking student should promptly notify the Registrar's Office so that applications for educational benefits may be filed. All applications for benefits are subject to the approval of the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Non-Degree Status

Normally students are admitted to graduate studies as degree seeking students. Occasionally, a student may desire to take a limited number of courses within the graduate programs without working toward a degree. Students seeking to take coursework as a non-degree student should work with the appropriate graduate office to determine admissions requirements. It is assumed that non-degree students will meet the same entry standards as all graduate students; non-degree status is not a proper status for students who lack appropriate preparation to qualify as degree seeking students.

Students requesting to take coursework in the Education department may also be required to obtain a clear Federal Background check from an approved source. Non-degree students may take no more than three courses (nine hours) of Education coursework or no more than two courses (six hours) of Business coursework.

Transient Status

Students pursuing a graduate degree at another institution may be admitted as a visiting student at Berry. Each semester, such students must submit a visiting-student form authorizing them to take course work at Berry College. This form may be acquired from the home institution or from the Berry College Admissions Office.

Audit Status

A limited number of auditors may be allowed in graduate classes, with preference given to students seeking degree credit. A student enrolling as an auditor receives no credit for the audited course. A non-Berry student applying to audit a graduate course must submit an application, the appli­cation fee, and evidence of a baccalaureate degree, and must pay the audit fee upon registering. The student will pay the cost of materials used in the course, plus appropriate auditor's tuition.

Changes from audit to credit status or from credit to audit status must be accomplished by the drop/add period announced by the registrar. A change from audit to credit will entail the payment of additional tuition to equal the credit-hour rate.

Readmission to the Graduate Program

Graduate students not registered for courses at Berry College or on Leave of Absence are considered withdrawn and must submit an application for readmission. To reapply the student should submit an online application for readmission no later than 30 days prior to the beginning of the semester of which admission is sought and submit an official transcript for any work done at another college during the absence from Berry.

Transfer Credit

Transfer credit is not awarded for prior experiential learning, nor is credit awarded for graduate work that is not applicable to the degree program. For graduate education a maximum of three courses (two courses for M.B.A.) or nine semester hours (six hours for M.B.A.) of graduate transfer credit for which the student has earned a grade of "B" or better may be applied to the appropriate graduate program.

Transcripts received by the admissions office will be forwarded to the appropriate graduate office for evaluation before the student is admitted. Decisions regarding transfer credit awarded are made within each graduate program according to the policies approved by their graduate faculty. The registrar will be notified of all transfer credit approved by the graduate program.

Studying at another Institution

Students who are enrolled in a Berry graduate program and who seek to take course work at another institution must complete a Request for Permission to Study as a Transient Student form before taking such courses. Graduate students who take courses elsewhere without prior approval do so at the risk of non-acceptance of those credits. Once any approved courses are completed, students must have official transcripts of this work sent to the registrar's office.

Financial Aid

Students who are accepted as degree-seeking students into the graduate program at Berry College may be eligible for financial aid if carrying a minimum of five semester hours. Part-time graduate students must satisfactorily complete at least 70 percent of any attempted course work in order to continue to receive federal financial aid. Federal loans are available for eligible graduate students who apply for financial aid. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required to determine eligibility for these loans. Questions about applying for financial aid can be addressed in the Berry College Office of Financial Aid, Herman Hall Room 105, or by calling 706-236-1714

Note: Graduate students enrolled in at least six hours may be eligible for graduate assistantships, which can greatly enhance employability. Graduate assistantship information can be secured through the graduate coordinators in the Campbell School of Business and the Charter School of Education and Human Sciences.

Applying for Financial Aid

Graduate students are encouraged to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the federal processors online using FAFSA on the Web ( The Federal Student Aid Report (SAR) is generated by the federal processors in response to the student's submission of the FAFSA. The SAR must be received by the financial-aid office (along with supporting documentation as requested by that office) to determine eligibility for any need-based financial aid. It is also required for participation in any of the federal student loan programs.